Friday, August 8, 2008

O'Week Conclusion

"I Spent All Me Money!"

It's my new favorite phrase. An Aussie I met here, his name is Mick, used it one day when I asked him how his night was.

"How was your night Mick?"
"Good, but I spent all me money."

So I now use the phrase as much as possible. Some people like me are easily entertained.

As the title of this blog entry says, tonight is the conclusion of O'Week. The tunnel party was exactly as I expected it to be, a party in a tunnel. There were a couple cyclists that were trying to get home through the tunnel of easily 100 people. I felt bad because they actually had to get off their bikes and push through all of the people. We were nice though. I'm fairly sure everyone offered them a drink.

Tuesday night we had a Toga party at the Club that is on campus. It was huge! It wasn't just people that lived on campus. I think people actually came to campus.

Wednesday some buses were chartered for us and we were taken into town to the bar that George Roberts folks use a lot. It's called "The Exchange"

Last night was another party at the campus Club.

And tonight is our last night as "Fresher's." An "Op Shop Party" is apparently what is on the agenda. Now I bet you are wondering what an Op Shop Party is. Well, it's pretty simple. Everyone goes to the Op Shop (thrift store) and buys the most outrageous thing they can find. Then they wear it to the party. My buddy Drew and I picked out each other's costumes. And after seeing what he picked out for me, I'm hoping there won't be many pictures that surface after tonight. I'll leave it at that.

Now I know it sounds like a lot of partying has been going on this week. And that because there has been. But the drinking age is 18 so no laws have been broken. But this is all typical O'Week stuff, and it will tone down after this. "No Worries Mom!"

I went to all my classes this week, and I'm pretty excited about them all. I have the same teacher for two of my classes, which is kinda strange for me. However, the classes are related so it makes sense. Something interesting about Universities over here is that students call their instructor's by their first names. Which is disrespectful back in the States. Overall, this is a very laid-back culture. I'm sure I will blog more about it once I have some more to say about it.

Again, I'm having a blast and I'm looking forward to the rest of the semester!

3 comments:

The Hindsman's said...

Are you kidding? Mom? I am worried!

Mike Roach said...

"No worries everyone!"

Roger and Linda said...

"Angel Boy"...... all grown up :-)