Monday, August 18, 2008

First Weekend of No Plans

"It's nice to not have something on the to-do list."

First, I want to say "sorry" for not updating the blog in a while. The second week of classes was fairly uneventful, and this past weekend was pretty easy-going.

Friday we went down to a couple rope swings on a nearby river. It's only about a 20 minute walk from ole' George Roberts Hall.

^The first (more wimpy) rope swing^

^Waiting our turn for the more intense rope swing^
You actually have to jump out of a tree

^I'm next!^

^I call this "the Spiderman"^

Friday night we went to Uni-Club for a battle of the bands event. I think it goes on every Friday night. It was fun!

Saturday we went down to the Strand (the Beach). The Strand actually has its own Wikipedia entry. Click here if you want to read up and see more pictures. I believe it was Wednesday that Townsiville started what is called Cultural Fest. It is defined as "5 fun filled days of dance, food, music, arts, workshops and sports Cultural Fest brings the Townsville region to life."

^Aerial shot of Townsville's Cultural Fest^

It was pretty interesting, there was lots of food from all over the world. However, I did spend most of the day trying to find an ATM. Oh well, and since we were in no hurry to get back to campus we stuck around and took some pictures of the sunset.

^Full Moon Rising^

^Sunset^

Today (Monday) was the first overcast day since I've been in Townsville. Most days are very clear with not a cloud in the sky. I asked my roommate what was the white stuff in the sky was because I hadn't seen it here before. He said, "I don't know. I think a cotton factory exploded somewhere and that stuff is just stuck in the sky." Hardee-Har!

However, the overcast sky made for an amazing sunset, and I will post those pictures tomorrow. What? I gotta leave you with a reason to come back to the blog tomorrow.

Cheers!

5 comments:

The Hindsman's said...

Your other momma here. Be careful jumping (please don't dive in). It looks beautiful there.

Roger and Linda said...

Uhhhh, any Crocs in those waters?

Mike Roach said...

Actually, yes... A couple rowers told us about a few across the river, but they are freshwater crocs. Therefore, smaller and way more "scared of you than you are of them." I think he said the biggest one he saw was only about a meter long.

Dad said...

Only a meter long!!!!!!!!!! That means Momma is close by waiting for the little ones to draw dinner close enough to eat.........

emma said...

michael,
found out about your travels through someone you graduated with. i've been keeping up and your blog/photos have been amazing. you are so fortunate to have experienced that.
jessie is in spain. she was in madrid, sotogrande, budapest, dubrovnik croatia and places im not aware of. unfortunately she is not posting pix like yours. you have gained so much from this and i wish you the best. are you back at ga. state?
larissa bockenek